Tuesday, 27 November 2012

12 Crafts of Christmas- Christmas Chutney


I've been making chutneys again! This time for gifts, needed to get them done so they are ready for eating on Christmas.

I used Delia Smiths classic Christmas Chutney recipe, which is super tasty!!!



Recipe
Ingredients
 10 oz (275 g) ready-to-eat dried apricots
 12 oz (350 g) pitted ready-to-eat prunes
 10 oz (275 g) pitted dates
 1 lb (450 g) onions, peeled
 1 pint (570 ml) cider vinegar
 2 oz (50 g) sea salt
 1 level dessertspoon grated fresh root ginger or 1 heaped teaspoon ground ginger
 3 oz (75 g) allspice berries
(Put the two ingredients above in a muslin bag, tied shut)
 1 lb (450 g) demerara sugar

(All measurements are aproximate, I used loads more apricots than it said because they came in big packets- basically, I made sure that I had at least the same amount of dried fruit total by weight, and it ended up being a couple of hundred grams more which just turned in to MORE chutney- win!)

  1. Put the onions, salt and muslin bag of spices in woth the cider vineger, and heat until just bubbling.
  2. Then add your sugar and dried fruit, and bring to the boil.
  3. Leave to boil down until the mixture is dark and thick, it's ready when you can make a well in the middle with the back of a spoon and it takes a while to fill with liquid- about one and a half hours.
  4. Put into sterilysed jars and seal with jam jar celiphane seals.
  5. Decorate, add a fabric circle to pretty up the lid and label- all ready for Christmas day.
This needs at least a month to mature before eating, so now is the time to make it- quick!

I've got some very Christmassy fabric and matching labels ready to make them perfect for presents, and a small jar left over for us to enjoy too!


Freya May
xxx

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness I heart chutney but have never known how to make it. love this.

    Aloha,

    Following ya now from the Friday hop. It's so sweet to meet ya. I'd love for you to join me for the ride at Local Sugar Hawaii . We're riding the wave of life one teensy adventure at a time, come join us and if you'd like join us for An Aloha Affair-- our sweet gathering and mingling and... growing together. You're welcome anytime.

    cheers,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for following, I'll be sure to check out your blog asap. Please, let me know how your chutney making goes - I warn you now, it can be strangely addictive... :D
      Freya MAy

      Delete

Hi! I love getting comments, so please, let me know what you think! I always try and respond to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...