Monday, 18 February 2013

Summery Blouse

I spent last summer collecting cute men's shirts from charity shops to use in my sewing adventures- a friend and I spent a day tuning one in to a dress!  It was a fun day, but I doubt the end product ever got worn.

Any way, this one I've had since then and have finally used it to make this summery blouse.



The pattern is one of the ones I've picked bought on Ebay, one of many, much to my husbands annoyance   I did have a lot of dress  patterns, so I was stocking up on top and skirt patterns, of which I now have a small, but great selection.

I was so please to manage to squeeze this top out of the shirt, as it pretty much redesigned it from scratch!  Naturally I used the existing buttons for the front, saved me a job making the fiddly closure- I've told you before, I'm dead lazy!

So, evaluation.  I really like this top.  On the mannequin anyway.  On, not so much.  I think it's one of those tops that doesn't really suit me, and I probably cut the size smaller than I should- so I will try up-sizing before I write this pattern off completely.   

Also, not so fond of the peplum.  I'm not one to follow many trends, but I did think that would be one I'd really like! Both times I've made a top with one, I've been a bit disappointed.  This one particularly   So, I've decided to pop it in the pile of clothes saved for the summer, see if the warmer weather makes me want to wear it more.


Summary

Fabric: 100% cotton shirt
Notions: Iron on interfacing
Challenges: Squeezing the pattern out of the fabric for one.
Hours: 2, I think.
Cost: £3 for the shirt and £2.50 for the pattern.
Do it again?:  Maybe, maybe try and sort out the fitting, and loose the peplum- any advice on that?

2 comments:

  1. Pretty! I love low-budget sewing. Thanks for stopping by at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm still working on making good tops, but it's a step in the right direction. And I'm totally using secondhand shirts again- They're awesome! xx

      Delete

Hi! I love getting comments, so please, let me know what you think! I always try and respond to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...