Monday, 4 March 2013

Some thoughts on personal style

So I'm getting in to the swing of making clothes regularly, and I'd like to think that I'm getting slowly better at it too!  But the next problem isn't too far behind.  Every girls got to face it at some point or other.  Some are lucky, I guess and find it easy to deal with and sort it out nice and early on.  Others, and I'd put my self in this category, struggle to find it, finding the whole situation confusing and frustrating!

I am, of course, talking about personal style.

About two years ago I got rid of all but one pair of jeans, filling my wardrobe with dresses and skirts.  Which I was happy with, but because it was done in quite a rush, I didn't end up with lots of items I loved, just ones which filled the stop gap.  Then, last spring, I had a rush of good luck finding really nice, good quality, even designer, jeans in charity shops and my collection grew again.  I'm not saying this is a bad thing at all. Who doesn't love a jeans and tshirt day? But now I have more of them, and having got rid of  the unsuitable dresses I bought, I feel I resort to jeans-and-tshirt days more that I'd like. 

Answer seems clear, doesn't it? Buy/ make more dresses, dummy!  But I'm kind of having a self imposed ban on buying ready-to-wear clothes from anywhere but second hand shops this year, so it isn't a case of popping into New Look and picking up a handful of pretty things (as if I could afford that anyway!).  

So I'm scouring the second-hand shops for the right kinda thing- and here is the crux of my dilemma (too dramatic?) - I don't know what to look for!!!

This is where sewing skills come into their own, isn't it? 

I tend to go for the full skirted look, which I do love, but isn't it too little girly?  I'm 5'2", so I don't need a lot of help looking younger, but I know that style does suit me well.

There are a few fashion bloggers I love, for example, Kate at Scathingly Brilliant

photos stolen from Scathingly Brilliant

I love how she is unafraid of colour and clearly has a signature look, which is not too dissimilar to the look I gravitate towards.  And her entire wardrobe seems to be made up of really beautiful dresses!  But I'm not convinced I could pull this off with out looking too childish.

Another example is Elizabeth from Delightfully Tacky

Photos stolen from Delightfully Tacky

Still with the lovely silhouette, but I think the way that she styles her clothes is a little more towards what I am aiming at.

Finally, I am inspired by Zooey Deschanel, especially her character 'Jess', in New Girl. 


Zooey is almost 10 years older than I am, and she rocks the A-line skirt, blouse and sun dress wardrobes! She (/her stylists) have got her cute look down without making her look like a 8 year old (in my opinion anyway)

So, these are the kinda looks I want to aim for, and they are the kinda clothes I'd like to make.  

The next thing I've decided to do to help create this 'look' is to think about what colours I'm going to use.  I think having a set of colours is useful when putting a wardrobe which works together.

I realise this isn't necessary, but when it comes to making clothes I think making a handful of items which work well together is a good idea.

So, for this summer I've got myself a lovely pile of pretty, pastel fabrics to make myself some lovely summer dresses- I hope they work out okay.


So, anyway, brain dump of thoughts and ideas and cute outfits I'd really quite like to recreate.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this! I am completely in this dillema right now, and gravitate towards the same sort of styles as you, but I recently started uni and am having trouble with trying to dress in a manner that people take me seriously in. Being a woman in an academic environment is always going to be hard, but being a woman in frills, lace and pink in an academic environment kinda makes me feel like people aren't going to take me seriously. I've been trying out some flattering, feminine style clothes in less feminione colours which I find tends to be working for me up until a point, but I still gravitate towards pastels, cream and white as a natural colour choice while I'm shopping. I also am a mega fan of jeans and have been trying to make them look a little dressier for uni, which so far is working well (especially when wearing my pastel pink jeans!) As I feel more "grown up" but still like me :) Reading your post has definitely made me feel more comfortable with this problem i'm going through, though and has helped me to figure out how to look girly without looking like an idiot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to hear about other people thinking along the same lines as me! I really didn't mean to do anything but brain-dump on you, poor unsuspecting readers:D The academic thing is quite true too!!! For a very short while I thought that I should give up buying blue, as I had a lot of it in my wardrobe, but now I've decided that blue is one of my colours, so I'm going with it (just limiting the number of summer dresses in blue instead).
      xxx

      Delete
  2. I love your inspiration choices! All 3 are fabulous and I would happily wear all of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Isn't it a case of 'just let me raid your wardrobe... PLEASE!'
      xxx

      Delete
  3. Your inspirations are awesome! I'm very much in love with Zoey's/Jess' style! Your fabric choice is great and I think as long as you feel you're yourself and comfortable and confident in what you wear it can be anything. Whether it's girly dresses or cool jeans, you'll look good if you feel good in it. So thumbs up for summer dresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I do feel so much more comfortable in skirts/dresses- they can be so forgiving! :) I'm aiming to make/thrift lots of dresses this summer! xxx

      Delete
  4. Those look adorable! That's so awesome that you have the sewing skills to make your own skirts! My sewing skills are limited to pillows and baby burp cloths!
    Visiting from the Friday Chaos link up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sewing my own clothes! And its so fun seeing myself improve :)
      Thanks for visiting!
      xxx

      Delete
  5. My gosh, I love all of those clothes. I found you from the link up and I'm definitely your newest follower. I love what I see! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to have you following! xxx

      Delete
  6. you are so talented!

    that is why i nominated you for a versatile blogger award! follow this link for what to do:

    http://lovemeganalexis.blogspot.com/2013/03/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first set is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't her style so cute! I love it so much :D xxx

      Delete

Hi! I love getting comments, so please, let me know what you think! I always try and respond to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...