Monday, 1 April 2013

Happy Easter Everybody

I hope everyone's had a really good day, having dinner with friends and family, church, or whatever it is that you've been up to.

We spent the weekend at our friends, Fran and Andy's house, playing with their brand new puppy! He's a bouncy ball of slightly nippy fun, but his training is going well, so that won't last.  He really is a cutie!

Church in the morning followed by a fantastic roast lamb Sunday lunch with friends really is the best way to celebrate the Risen Christ.  I love spending time with friends, especially now that everyone from uni has spread far and wide.



I mentioned that I found perfect fabric for an Easter dress during the Christmas holidays, but I decided that I actually really loved the fabric as the curtains it came as too, so I used just half of them to make my second picnic blanket skirt, which I paired with a white Sorbetto top which I just finished making just in time on Saturday morning.  

Top and Skirt; Handmade, Cardigan; Thrifted, Shoes; NewLook, Bag; Gift
Photos by Fran

I ended up cutting the skirt too short to begin with, I trusted David's judgement when I came to the length and that was a little bit of an error (sorry, Love).  I ended up using the fabric I cut off to add a band at the bottom of the skirt, so I just added about a 1 1/2" to the length, which is perfect!

And I love the Sorbetto top! I totally plan on making a few more of them, for both casual and work.  This one is perfect for summer, but the fabric creases so easily, it's ridiculous.  It's my own fault, I used a light weight quilters cotton, so I should have expected it.  


Summary
Fabric: 100% cotton, yellow second hand curtains -£4.99, and 1.5m 100% cotton, white quilting fabric- £4/m
Notions: 5 wooden buttons and iron-on interfacing on the skirt, 
Challenges: Cutting the skirt too short was an error, but the fix was simple enough, tbh, quite an easy outfit to throw together.
Hours: 2.5 making the skirt and an hour on the blouse.
Do it again?: Probably will leave it at two picnic skirts, but I'm going to make a few more sorbettos' for sure.

14 comments:

  1. A great Spring look Freya. The border at the hem of the skirt turned out well, so it was a happy mishap!

    Looking forward to seeing the shape of the top in more detail - might want to commission one for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ma, I'm really pleased with how it turned out! xxx

      Delete
  2. Ahhhh, how fabulous! I wish I could sew like this! I love them both. :) Happy Easter, Freya May. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Happy Easter to you too! xxx

      Delete
  3. Very lovely and Springy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D It was sooo COLD though! xxx

      Delete
  4. It looks great! So flattering on you, nice sewing skills!

    www.domesticblisssquared.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm still working on the skills bit, tbh :)x

      Delete
  5. Love the fabric for your skirt! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was a second hand find! Planning on making curtains with the rest of it, lol
      xxx

      Delete
  6. Hi!
    Newest bloglovin' follower from the Collective blog hop :)
    MammaNene

    SergerPepper.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, it's great to have you, hope you enjoy my posts! xxx

      Delete
  7. I love the skirt! What great fabric for spring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love spring colours! I want to make lots more yellow and maybe some green things for my wardrobe! xxx

      Delete

Hi! I love getting comments, so please, let me know what you think! I always try and respond to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...