Monday, 27 January 2014

Gaduation Day, Graduation Dress

I'm getting a little bit of a backlog of things I've sewn and want to share with you now- working part time is giving me so much free time that I'm quite literally sewing up garments faster than I can wear them! I'm also spending the time I have on my hands to work on my skills and stuff, meaning that I am so pleased with the quality and finish of the dresses and other garments I've made recently.  I can't wait to show them all off!

So, last Friday, my MA course came to its final completion- I graduated.  I really love the pomp and circumstance of graduation ceremonies, at least to begin with, but there were a few hundred of us graduands to get through, so the novelty soon wore off.  Our little class was towards the end though, at least, so there was the anticipation to keep me going for the majority of the ceremony.  We sat, the four of us who made it to the ceremony, and caught up with our lives- plans have changed for others, not just me, which is comforting when you think just your life still isn't exactly following any kind of plan.  


One thing I'm aiming for in my sewing is to start making outfits more for events, be it graduations, birthdays, weddings or trips to the cinema.  I want to get to a point where the majority of my day to day and occasion clothes are handmade.  I'm not cutting out shopping entirely, but cutting way down.  For the occasion of my graduation I made myself this wonderfully spotty number.



I found this fabric on the market, a stable, quite thick jersey with a bit of a texture to it, for £6/m and bought it before I even had a plan for it.  When it came to thinking about graduation at the begining of January, I saw it it my stash and had a bit of an 'ah-ha!' moment.  I'd bought New Look 6968 last summer and have made it up as a work dress just before Christmas (as was seen in my A/W sewing plans) and knew it would be the ideal pattern for this too.  The jersey means it's super comfortable, and has just the right about of smart-ness for the occasion, but its the kind of dress I'll wear in the day too, when I'm in the mood :)

The construction was really easy, I didn't line it all all, so it went together really quickly.  The texture of the fabric meant that it didn't slip at all as I sewed it together and it was just really nice to work with!  This pattern is going to become one of my go-to patterns, I can just tell.  I shortened the skirt by 4", eliminating the need for the back vent.  The bodice is cut at a size 12 on the shoulders and goes down to a size 14 at the waist and hips.

And I have to show you the awesome shoes my mum bought me as my Graduation present-


That's right, they've got tape measure bows!!!! Thank you Irregular Choice! (and Mummy)



9 comments:

  1. such a cute dress and i LOVE those shoes! perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been hankering after the shoes for a while! xxx

      Delete
  2. Stunning dress! I love the b/w polka dot fabric and it looks really comfy, too! I also sort of stopped going clothes shopping. In the beginning it was because with everything I liked which was out of my budget I thought, well I can just try and make it myself! This is sort of my motto now. If I can make it for less, I make it myself. Your shoes rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that motto- it's so much more satisfying isn't it! Btw, we have got to go fabric shopping at some point! x

      Delete
  3. That is such a lovely dress- the fit looks amazing, it really suits you!
    Also, I've been lusting over those shoes for 5 years, I'm so jealous of you right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really working to get the fit of a handful of patterns just right, so I can use them again and again :) Totally making this again, and soon!
      xxx

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on graduating! Such a lovely dress. How I have been managing to finish my dresses is setting myself a date for when I want to wear them, whether it;s a special occasion, or just a date day. It ensures it does get hemmed, even if it's being finished at 6am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice tactic! I hate having WIP's hanging about :D xxx

      Delete
  5. I've nominated you for a Liebster Award; check out my blog for details: http://kaitlynssimplyvintage.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, so please, let me know what you think! I always try and respond to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...