Monday, 7 April 2014

The Notebook Sewalong #2


Yay! It's the second Hollywood Sewalong post! Last month we invited you to join us in stepping back in time and creating a dress/outfit/ anything inspired by one of my favourite films, The Notebook.  I hope you've been busy, because there is just one more month until we all share what we're been up to and I am super excited to see everyone's finished item. 

This post is to give you a peek into my plans-

This is the dress I've decided to recreate

LOVE IT!

Anyone else think its a little scandalously short for the forties though?

Anyway, I digress.  I think this dress is gorgeous, and fits in most neatly to my existing wardrobe.  I love the red, the buttons and the ricrac.  Although there are plenty of dresses that Ali wears in the film that I would love to make up, this one was immediately the clear winner.


So, once I found the right fabric- something patterned, red, and not floral, I just needed a pattern.  Now, I didn't think for a minute that I would be able to find a pre-existing pattern that just happened to be perfect and include all the right design features, so I didn't even look.  What I did look for was a shift dress pattern I could use as a starting point and make the tweaks from there. 

This New Look pattern (6095) was ideal, it just has bust darts on the front, which will make recreating that ricrac trim detail easier, and had a cap sleeve option.  There are a ton of shift dress patterns available, so I don't think I could go far wrong.

Looking closely at the picture, you can see there is actually a belt/waistband detail, which I'm just going to ignore.  I'm going to use giant ricrac and go on the hunt for the perfect flower buttons, I think they need to be at least 1/2".  And I haven't decided on length yet, definitely not that short, but probs not too long either. 

I'm currently just finishing off the toile, and as long as that works out, I'll start on the real thing next week. 

I'm so excited! And having far too much fun doing this :D  I hope you are too.

p.S.
Go check out the others, we've all shared out plans with you today!
Amy from SewsnBows.com
and Courtney from makesphere.wordpress.com

3 comments:

  1. I agree, that dress was short and I thought the exact same thing when I saw the movie. I don't think she was as easy to make look younger and older like Ryan Goseling. I bet they were trying to use the shortened dress to portray her youthfulness...but they went extra short :) I had a heck of a time finding fabric. I wish you the best of luck finding perfect buttons Freya! Your final dress will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! You really found the perfect fabric! That pattern seems to be quite a good starting point, the sleeves look very similar to the original dress. I like that you're staying close to the original design, excited to see it when it's finished!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute fabric! I'm joining the sew-along, one of my favourite movies, so I had to :) I'm over at www.jaggedrose.se

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, so please, let me know what you think! I always try and respond to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...