Thursday, 24 July 2014

Life Lately 24/07/14

Reading




"Watching the English" By Kate Fox is a anthropological look at the customs and habits which form the essential English-ness that we take for granted.  I'm only half way through, but so far I've been drawn in and have found my self being able to evaluate my own culture, which is fascinating! There are many home truths and many relatable stories shared in this book, and it sheds light on our English ways, even to a born English woman.  I highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in society, sociology and people in general.  In fact, I've literally been talking about this book to anyone who'll listen, whenever there is a situation even slightly related to its content (which, to be honest, is like, all the time, seeing as I live in England.)  Also, if you plan on visiting England ever, its worth a read to decipher some of our more subtle and confusing behaviours.


Watching 



Other than watching a lot of YouTube recently, I took Dave to the cinema to watch The Fault in Our Stars this month.  I stayed up most of the night a while ago to finish the book the film is based on, while in floods of tears, as Dave snoozed peacefully beside me.  It is a terribly sad story, but it is beautifully told and the film does  great job in staying true to the feel of the books.  Yes, I weeped at the film too- just call me the blubber monster!  (Most of the YouTube I've been watching is actually the vlog of the author, John Green, and his brother, Hank.)


Other shows I've been watching recently include Castle (up to season 4) and Fringe (season 3).  I wanted to rewatch some Star Trek TNG but stupid Netflix is stupid and only has seasons 4 through 7 *sulk*.

Sewing 


Clearly, she is trying to help!
So I finally found some awesome geeky fabric on eBay this month and was the lucky winner of a bidding war! I paid a little more than intended for it, but, hey, I am now the proud owner of an awesome Doctor Who dress, Yhaay! I'm blogging about it next week, so I don't want to say too much here, but I am just so excited for this project, so, so excited- I love it!

Making


I picked up these heart frames in the sale at work for £1.50 each, and am planning on giving them a little sanding down, filling them with some cute coupley photos and hanging them in our house.  Sure, not the most intensive DIY ever, but quick and satisfying.

Planning


As of yesterday I have a full week off work to hang out with Dave- yay! We haven't had much time to plan what we're going to do with this week together, and we struggled to find anywhere cheap to go, so we settled on a "Staycation".  To ensure we don't just hang about the house, we planned in advance what we would do on each day.  We're going to Aton Towers, spending a day shopping in Birmingham, using our natural trust membership, we'll spend a day at a local festival, visiting the space centre and a day having a Lord of the Rings Marathon.  I'm actually quite excited!  This week should be a balance between relaxation and fun times.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog to catch up with what you have been up to. So excited to see the Dr Who dress in full (and a little jealous) !! the staycation sounds great I'm sure you and Dave will have an amazing time. Adam and I also saw TFIOS and I was certainly not dried eyed even having read the book and having tried to mentally prepare myself. See you soon, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh thanks for the recommendation about Watching the English, I think I'll have to get that one. My tweenager got me reading A Fault in Our Stars with her and then dragged me along to see the movie...which we both cried throughout. I like the book better because I love his writing style, but movie wasn't bad either. Love that Doctor Who dress and looking forward to full post....and cute moggie, I've got a cat just like that who instantly comes and sleeps on any material or patterns I want to cut out. Are they the best? :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, so please, let me know what you think! I always try and respond to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...