Monday, 6 October 2014

Sewing Classes and Muslin Making

I am very lucky, because I live right around the corner from a lovely lady who teaches sewing classes.      Julia runs Bobbins and Buttons, so I emailed her about a month ago, to ask if there she was running a class that looked at more advanced dressmaking skills, and particularly at fit.  I've joined her Thursday evening class, which is aimed at sewers of all abilities.  


In the first lesson the four of us cut out and began working on our first muslin of the patterns.  I took along the free pattern from Love Sewing magazine- the Simple Sew Ruby Dress.  The dress is exactly up my street, style wise, but it's nice to try out different patterns now and again.  

I whipped up the muslin in calico fabric, and Julia helped me make the necessary adjustments.  Next week we'll look at translating them to pattern alternations, so I can make up the dress and so it'll will fit perfectly.  I'm so excited!

It's a six week course, so over that time I hope to figure out the fit on a range of different patterns features, like princess seams, and improve the fit on some of my previous makes, like my Doctor Who dress.  

I'm really glad to have this opportunity to learn from someone so much more skilled than I am, and I'm going to make the most of the classes and take a lot away from it to use in all my future makes :D



(Now, I don't pride my self on my amazing photography skills, but really, I'm sorry for this one, the lighting was terrible and I ran out of time to take photos)

2 comments:

  1. This is exactly the kind of class I'm looking for, thanks for the heads up! I'll take a look at the website and maybe try and book something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pattern. Enjoy your class :) What a great oppurtunity

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, so please, let me know what you think! I always try and respond to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...