Tuesday, 16 December 2014

DIY Faux Fur Gilet

I wrote a whole post yesterday and forgot to save it! Urgh! making this the second time I'm writing this so I'm going to make it quick! 



I've loved the faux fur gilets I've seen around recently, but the really nice ones are around £70+, but I am not willing to pay that much for something I knew I could DIY easily enough.

There is a pattern by Named, the Tala, but I decided that it was going to be such a simple pattern I should have a go at drafting one myself.  
I made a sample out of muslin, and went for it.

The fabric I used is from my favourite local market stall, Stuarts.  They charged me £20 for 1.5m of fur and lining fabric, though the ticket price was £12/m for the fur- I love being a customer of local businesses!


The construction was simple enough, I stitched round the neck line and the arm holes, then bagged it out and stitched the side seams together.  I originally made the front overlap quite a lot, but decided once it was all put together it was too much.  So I took out three inches from either side.  It still over laps by a couple of inches, but there was a lot of bulk that needed to go.  I also wasn't sure how to go about sewing the hem, so I folded it over and stitched it down, but I think there is probably a better way, a neater way.  I'll have to figure that out, unless anyone has any tips?

All in all, I am so pleased with it! It's lovely to wear and really cute.  There are a couple of small fitting issues I would change if I make it again though.  I'd take out 2" from the back of the neck, and I would totally add pockets! I really miss pockets when I'm wearing it, so they are an absolute must.  I would also play with the neck like, this one is cut in to a lowish V, but I think I would raise it a couple of inches should I make it again.



Gilet- Self Made, Dress and Jumper- Fat Face, Scarf- Accessorize, Bag- Vintage Shop, Earrings, Belt and Tights- New Look, Boots- Rocket Dog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love getting comments, so please, let me know what you think! I always try and respond to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...