Thursday, 22 January 2015

Share Your Sewing Space- Lauren From Lladybird

 Being the Nosy Parker that I am, I'm doing a series taking a peek at other sewists sewing spaces. Each month I'll be chatting with other bloggers about what makes there space special to them and how they went about putting it all together.  In part, this is going to help inspire me as I create my own creative space in my new home.  I hope you all find this as interesting as me, I do love looking around other peoples homes.


Today I'm chatting with Lauren from Lladybird.  Lauren is super lucky and has a beautiful, large, sewing room in the house that she shares with her Mr.  Not only does she have a big space, but she uses it so well!  By her own admission, it's a room that is always changing and evolving, which is just how I feel about my sewing room too.  Lets take a look around!


I've had quite a few sewing spaces over the years (seriously, I'm really lucky to live in an area with a relatively low cost of living, because a dedicated sewing room is a must-have/dealbreaker when I'm house-hunting!), and thus had lots of time to figure out what works best for me and what's a wash. Personally, I love having lots of SPACE - I know some people are super happy in a tiny area where they can reach the iron and sewing machine at the same time, but I really like to spread out. A big cutting table is a must for me - and it needs to be situated so that I can walk all the way around it (I told you - I really like having lots of space!). Another big factor is keeping everything out in the open where I can see it, as I tend to be the sort of person who forgets things if I'm not looking at them! I love looking at sewing spaces where everything is neatly filed away in boxes with lots of labels, but that's not a realistic set-up for me. The compromise is, of course, that everything has to be kept pretty neat - since it's out in the open, you can't just throw it in a box and pretend like there's not a mess. I tend to be a relatively neat person (I'm the annoying person who cleans up as she's cooking haha), so this isn't much of a problem for me. Finally, the biggest factor I consider when setting up my sewing room is using lots and lots of color. Again - I love those all-white and birch rooms that are super trendy right now, but it's just not me. I love bright walls (most of my sewing rooms have been some shade of blue - especially turquoise!), colorful artwork, and letting my fabric and notions be part of the decor. It might be a bit too loud and colorful for some people, but just sitting in this room makes me really really happy :)



I definitely find my space very inspiring - not just the decor and colors themselves (although those help!), but even just seeing my fabric and notions all out and organized can lead to rediscovering old favorites and coming up with new combinations. I have a couple of pin boards by my cutting table, where I keep my inspiration - swatches of the fabrics I want to use next, a pretty piece of lace or a fancy zipper, magazine clippings, old photos, that sort of thing. While I don't keep my patterns out in the open anymore - I currently own over 300, and in order to keep the chaos under control, I needed to adopt a filing system - I do occasionally dig through them and pull out anything that I find particularly inspiring. I keep those in a box on top of the shelf where I store the rest of my patterns, so they are easy to access.



My favorite element of this space? All the light that it gets! I have two large windows, and while they're don't look out to the *prettiest* view (just the neighborhood... which isn't very pretty. Well, my neighbor's yards aren't, anyway! haha!), they do look out to lots of green in the summer :) And, again - all that light! In the daytime, I don't even need my overhead lights, because the room is so bright. I also really love the hardwood floors - I mean, I love hardwoods regardless (especially in a sewing room, where you can sweep up your mess!), but I think the hardwoods in this house are especially beautiful. Everything about this space just makes me so, so, so happy.



I think the biggest thing to keep in mind when setting up your creative space is how you want the space to work for YOU - if you need a lot of room, if you need a hardcore organizational system to keep things in check, and how you want to decorate the space to be the most inviting/inspiring for your eyes. Also - I know this can be hard, especially in a creative space... but try to keep the area neat! Even if you can't keep it show-room nice (which will forever be a losing battle), it's worth it just to maintain some level of organization just so you're not spending all your time looking for scissors or whatever. I clean up at the end of every sewing session, every night - 5 minutes of cleaning works much better for me than an hour at the end of the week. And as for those scissors - I hang them on the wall, so they as less likely to disappear under a mountain of WIPs :)



Thank you so much, Lauren! I love, love, love your space, and I've taken some great ideas to use in my own sewing room.  

If you'd like to Share Your Sewing Space with us, send me an email at freyamaymakes(a)gmail(.)com- I've love to hear from you!

6 comments:

  1. inspirational post! i really need to get my act together organising my sewing supplies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Organising is either something you love or hate! I love rearranging my stuff, so I probably do it more that actual sewing :S
      x

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, major sewing room envy! Mine is a tiny space shared with my partner at the end of a corridor, half-office, half-craft room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love posts like this. Everyone organizes things differently and you get so much inspiration. I have a small sewing room but I love it. Still I dream of going bigger, someday...
    Here it is: http://www.annaneah.se/2014/10/bildbomb-om-syrummet.html
    (there is a google translate button that will help you understans (a little) better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely! I recently posted my refurbished sewing room, in case it was of interest :) http://www.queenofdarts.com/2014/12/my-new-sewing-room.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you what a lovely work space.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, so please, let me know what you think! I always try and respond to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...