Thursday, 9 April 2015

Space, it says, is big. Really big...

Hey guys!  How's it going?  I hope you've had a nice Easter, fed up of chocolate yet?  I can't say I am but I haven't yet broken in to the egg David bought me.  A flippin' 1kg egg, I kid you not! While it is awesome, it is also a bit ridiculous; I can't decide wither of not I'm going to be greedy or wait and share it with our youth group next time they come round to our house.  Probably the latter, but I'm not promising anything.    

Today I'm sharing with you my Megan Dress from Tilly and the Buttons' Love at First Stitch, which I've had for a while, but this is the first garment I've gotten around to making from it. I'm not able to give a review of the book, because I didn't actually use it other than to pick a size and trace out the pattern pieces.  So, sorry about that.  However, as the dress went together very simply following my intuition and garment construction know -how, and from that I guess I can say it's a well designed dress, at least.


I am so, so loving this fabric- it's quilting cotton I found on Frumble Fabrics that I knew would make an awesome dress.  I ordered 2m, as I usually do if I'm not sure what I'm going to make from it.  That worked out nicely, as it's a narrow length so I was just able to get all the pieces out of it.  The pattern only calls for 1.5m of wider fabrics.  It wasn't the cheapest fabric, at £12/m so I knew I needed to make a special dress from it.



I traced a size 5, and made what I have now come to think of as my usual adjustments- took up the shoulder seams by 1inch total, took in the centre front and centre back in by an inch each, tapering to nothing at the waist.   And did what I think is generally termed a small sway back adjustment, when you take out some of the fabric from the back of the bodice.  Then, I had to re-cut the neckline as the adjustments made the already high neck strangle me.  I lowered the centre front and back by two inches a piece.  I had a lot of help with fitting my garments in a class I took last year- I don't have to make major adjustments, but having someone else take a look at things is invaluable.  I really recommend finding someone to help with it, or take it along to a class or a course and clarify what changes you need to make.  More than anything, sorting out the fit of you handmade clothes means you're going to be happier with them, wear them more and feel proud  about being able to say- "Yes, I made this."

You can see there is still some excess fabric in the shoulder there, but I'll have to pinch that out next time I make this pattern, I can't change it now.


I used this opportunity to practice setting in an invisible zip- still not something I'm particularly confident doing- for some reason, I just can't get it invisible, but I think it's just going to take practice (and practice, and practice)...


There isn't a whole lot more to say about this dress, although I don't think I've actually said how happy I am with it yet! Well, look at it! Galaxy print fabric.  Classy shift dress shape.  Cute detailing like the puffy shoulder heads.  I know I'll be wearing this a lot this spring, and summer, and autumn and winter too, probably.  I keep meaning to branch out from pretty dresses to improve my sewing skills and diversify my wardrobe, but there is something special about making dresses I can't put into words.

-----------------------

Also- There are now almost (and I mean, it's so close!) 200 bloglovin' followers of my little blog- thank you to each and every one of you for stopping by and checking out what I have to say, and for taking a look at what I've made.  To extend my thanks to you, I'm organising a little give away for when I hit 200 followers, so stay tuned!

6 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! I saw Tilly post this the other day and it's one of my faves from that pattern. Great fabric, will get me some!

    www.jenny-diy.com for some of my makes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D I'll pop over to your blog to check your makes out too. x

      Delete
  2. Lovely dress....you look great in it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, its currently in heavy rotation! x

      Delete
  3. This dress is so incredibly cute and gorgeous! I love the colour and print! I've made this pattern once before and can't say I was particularly happy with it. But it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took some tweaking, but happy with it now- the neck line was the biggest issue! x

      Delete

Hi! I love getting comments, so please, let me know what you think! I always try and respond to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...