Thursday, 23 April 2015

With Mirth and Laughter Let Old Wrinkles Come.


On Wednesday night Dave and I got last minute tickets to see Dara O'Briain at DMH theatre in Leicester, it was the perfect chance to debut my new dress.  Much laughs and fun was had, it was a great midweek date night.  

Comity gigs are one of my favourite options for nights out- while I like music, I'm not fussed by live gigs. I just find them too much, too loud and a little bit stressfull. Comedy, on the other hand is great! You get seats, you can tKe in nibbles, and I ask you to try and find laughing for two hours anything but relaxing! I'm so glad we managed to get these tickets last minute, especially as they were really good seats! Second row from the front!  I've got my beady eyes out for more events to go to now, because I love to laugh!

I have been planning on making this dress for a little while,  my first BHL Anna Dress is a firm favourite and wear it a lot.  It was really sad to hear the news about By Hand London having to stop producing printed patterns and fabric- the creative industry is a tough one to flourish in, mostly due to the easy access to cheaper mass produced products.  I'm glad the girls are still going to be publishing their patterns in PDF form, I love their designs, and have just ordered the Holly jumpsuit pattern for my collection- I think it'll be the perfect addition to my summer sewing plans.



Speaking off, I've made a start on my summer sewing plans this week- with a bit of a pattern mash up, using the BHL Anna bodice and the skirt from Tilly's Megan dress.  These two go so perfectly together, its unreal.  

I've been browsing the local fabric shops and eBay for wax print fabric for a while- I'm quite fussy so although there are a ton of lovely options it took me a while to find something that was right for me.  My local shops are pretty limited in what they stock, so eBay was the better bet on this occasion. I'm not the biggest fan of fabric shopping on-line, not being able to feel the fabric and check the weight etc.  This was a good find though- I love the bold print and I always gravitate red.  


You can see that I took extra care with my pattern matching on this one- I'm slowly getting the hang of it.  Slowly.  So, check  out that pattern flow down the front- its enough to make me cry.  Heck, it's almost enough to make May Martin cry ;-)

Not entirely sure about the length I cut it too.  I originally made it to the same length as my galaxy dress, but it felt too conservative in this dress.  I cut a couple of inches off, and then hemmed it by 3 cm.  It's passed the pants revealing test- i.e. it doesn't reveal anything I wouldn't want it to when I bend over. I still might let the hem down a little, just for comforts sake.



-----------------------------------------------

Random Number Generator, at random.org, has provided me with a giveaway winner.  


Congrats Katie, who blogs at stubbledgrapes.co.uk, I'll be sending you the voucher via email.  I can't wait to see what you get and make!

I want to thank you all for following along with me on my sewing journey, I hope you're having as much fun as I am!




3 comments:

  1. Such a lovely dress! The fit looks spot on and I agree, your pattern matching skills are awesome! :) I love the length, looks very 60's and perfect for hot summer days! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dress! I love the print and it is always nice to see mashups of different patterns. I like to see the endless possibilities that you can make by combining patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! Wrote a little blgopost today about what I decided to get =)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, so please, let me know what you think! I always try and respond to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...