Monday, 2 November 2015

View from the Shop Floor

So, I've been asked to update you all on my life and current adventure of opening a haberdashery store over the last couple of months.  Well, for starters it is awesome! I love our space in the city centre, we have an amazing range of sewing machines set up, ready to go when ever I need one and I have had so much fun curating the range of fabrics and kits and habby and stuff that we have got! I get to talk to people about sewing on a daily basis, we are seeing other peoples love for sewing blossom as they try it for the first time.  I'm making stuff all the time for workshop samples, we get to tell people how awesome we think the independent pattern companies are... The list goes on! 


We've spent months, gathering all the things we love to use in sewing, from beautiful cotton fabrics, to buttons and ribbons and threads, from patterns from our favourite designers, to kits for kids and adults.  It's basically the shop Sarah and I wished was in Leicester, so we've taken it upon ourselves to  open it! We still have the haberdashery round the corner from us which has been there for years and years, which we aren't aiming to compete with so much as compliment.  And there are the market stalls and John Lewis for fabric options.  But we wanted to fill in a gap we saw between the bargains on the market with the high prices of John Lewis and offer something a little different.


On the other hand, though, man, is it stressful! It took me weeks to figure out how to do the most basic accounting; we have days where no one walks in because it's raining and everyone is taking shelter in the high street shopping centre (which is not even a 5 minute walk from us); we get sent the wrong things in orders and have to negotiate contracts with big wholesale companies; we have displays to make, and we have kits to put together, and customers to serve and classes to teach and social media to update and samples to sew and washing up to do, and all the other things which are necessary for running a business.  I'm not complaining, please don't think I am- I know how lucky I am to have this opportunity! It's knowing that which encourages me to work hard and balance my time between the fun things and the necessary things.


But, when it all overwhelms me, I stop, take a look around and remind myself that this is mine (well, ours).  And it'll only work if I do. And at the end of the day, I have an amazing space, filled with beautiful things ready to be used, created and stitched.  I love it, even when the invoices make no sense, even when I don't see a customer all day, even when the accounts are stupid and I hate them.  I love my job.  



4 comments:

  1. I love what you do! And I can only admire the courage you both took to get this baby on the road. Wow! Many people dream of having a creative business but only very few have the balls to go ahead and try! I wish you all the best and success and joy in everything you do! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good. Next time I am in the UK, I am certainly going to come to Leicester and see your shop

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I still haven't been in to see your shop! In my defense, I'm insanely busy at the moment working two jobs. But I really want to come by and take some photos of your lovely space so I can write about it. Promise I will try and do so before Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting, I've been dreaming in owning a shop, something like that, I just love handling different stuff, specially when its all about sewing.

    Buy Haberdashery Online

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, so please, let me know what you think! I always try and respond to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...